Mascarpone cheese is used in various Italian pastries and desserts. It also tastes great on a piece of toast with sprinkled sugar!
1 qt Light Cream (940ml)
1/4 teaspoon Tartaric Acid** (5ml)
- Heat 1 qt of LIGHT CREAM to 180°F (82°C)
- Add 1/4 teaspoon TARTARIC ACID
- Stir for about 10-15 minutes
- The cream should thicken with small flecks of curd.
- Using a DOUBLE layer of FINE cheesecloth in a strainer, pour off the whey and let it drain for about an hour.
- Put the strainer in a bowl and place it in the refrigerator to drain overnight (or 12 hours).
- In the morning, scoop out the cheese and put into an airtight container.
** Tartaric Acid is available from any cheese making supply company and most wine making companies. Since at home winemaking is much more common, look in your phone book for a local winemaking supply store. Many wine and liquor stores carry wine making supplies and may have tartaric acid.